Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You just have to roll with it


What a week we have had.  It was exciting for me (Brent) to be back on the road.  Monday was a nice short 30-mile ride down the Katy trail from Columbia to Boonville, MO.  The Katy trail is a reclaimed railroad that runs 240 miles across Missouri.  Our next day was spent riding I-70 from Booneville to Higginsville, MO.  Yes, in Missouri bikes are allowed to ride on the interstate system.  While the vehicles flying by at 70-80+ mph were a bit nerve-racking, it was nice to the entire shoulder to ourselves.  While riding on the shoulder was comfortable, the 45-degree temps and 20 mph headwind were all the opposite...but to look at the cup half full, it was great training for the winter riding that shall be encountered up north.
Unfortunately my excitement was short lived.  By the end of day two my achilles were hurting worse than they had ever hurt before I got off in Georgia.  (for those of you who do not know, I took off three weeks to rest and rehab my Achilles due to tendonitis.)  It was as if I had not rested and rehabbed at all.   The night after our second day, walking was hardly bearable.  It was apparent that I would need much more than three weeks off and then it still wouldn’t be guaranteed that I could ride again.  After thinking for a while and talking it over with Michael, I have decided that I will no longer be riding.
This was a tough decision.  I’m an optimist and competitor, driven to succeed and really wanted to push through and hope all will be well, but I had to be realistic.  This isn’t like football where I could get a cortisone shot or push through the pain.  It’s day after day endurance riding, where pushing through the pain would likely lead to long-term damage…not worth it in the long run.  It’s a bummer, but you know what…I can still serve the ultimate purpose!
That purpose is providing opportunities to tomorrow’s leaders by fundraising for the Big City Mountaineers!  I will now take on a PR role; coordinating places for Michael to stay, venues to give presentations at, people to ride with him and reaching out to media outlets.  I’m looking at the time I spent on the road as the ultimate PR training grounds.  Now I know what is needed and how I can best support Michael as he continues on to the highest points in America. 
Speaking of that ultimate purpose, the raffle for a pair of Voler cycling shorts will conclude in one week on October 31st.  You can enter by making a donation to the Big City Mountaineers.  Click here to do so.  For every $10 donated you will be entered into the raffle once.  In addition, our generous matching donor will match your donation, so you’re $10 donation will be $20 to the Big City Mountaineers.
            To end on a high note, the past week was full of family filled awesomeness!  We stayed Wednesday night with my cousin Kristen, Thursday night with my cousin Eric, the weekend was spent at home, and I am writing you from my cousin Hannah’s.  It was great to spend Saturday watching football with dad and making cookies with mom.  To top it all off, my extended family came over that evening and we had a great dinner followed by watching the Cards take game 3 of the World Series.  Sunday We paid a visit to my Hope Church family.  Members of the church donated over $300 to the Big City Mountaineers!  So awesome!  It was a great time at home with great people.

Here's to continued success and safety for Michael as forges ahead.

Brent

2 comments:

  1. Brent,
    sorry to hear about the achilles pain. You will make lemonade out of this though I am sure. Keep up the good work. Love your blog posts. You are a great writer and communicator. Give my greetings to all your family!
    Hang in there Michael. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried taking fish oil for the inflammation? It helped me when I had a terrible case of patella tendonitis. Takes about 2 weeks to clear up

    ReplyDelete