Friday, October 21, 2011

Mizzou Homecoming!


The Columns at Francis Quadrangle

When Michael approached me (before Cycle for the Summit had been conceived) and said he wanted to get serious about this crazy idea.  I told him I would be game under one condition…that we made it to University of Missouri for the 100th anniversary of homecoming.  Knowing how passionate I am about my baccalaureate alma mater (I bleed black and gold glitter baby!) without hesitation he agreed, because he knew I would not miss it for the world.  Why was this so important to me?  Mizzou conceptualized the modern day homecoming in 1911, when athletic director Brewer wrote to all of Mizzou’s alumni, enviting them to come home to watch the Tigers take on the Kansas Jayhawks.  I won’t go into more details, but jeopardy and trivial pursuit both support that we invented homecoming.  Check out this article "Did Mizzou really invent homecoming?" which tells an interesting story on the history of homecoming and you can make up you own mind. 
2007 Summer Welcome Leaders (SWeven!)
The entire weekend was a whirlwind of activities.  (I will apologize now for not taking many pictures)  I got to catch up with so many old friends.  To add to the excitement, my girlfriend flew in and my parents dove down as well.  Friday night was the Summer Welcome Leader reunion.  Summer Welcome is Mizzou’s summer orientation for new students and their families.  I was part of the Summer Welcome program fro two years.  It was so great to catch up with my SWeven family, not to mention meeting other Summer Welcome leaders from years past. 
            
A homecoming staple at many universities is the parade.  We were going to be in the parade with 170 other “float” entries.  The parade committee thought they were pretty funny putting us behind the Harley Davidson club!  I had planned to bring earplugs, but unfortunately we had a little shifting snaffou with the bikes and had to skip out on the parade to go to the bike shop.  (I didn’t want to miss out on family and friend time trying to get to the bike shop after getting the parade)  It was just an issue where the shifter cable had popped out of it’s bracket, so he fixed it in no time and we learned how to fix it if it ever arises again. 
            The rest of the day was spent tailgating with friends and family.  It was a short tailgate, because it was a 1pm kickoff.  I had a blast at the game reveling in the familiar songs played by Marching Mizzou.  Even though it was a blowout, we stayed to sing the alma mater and fight song after the game. 
To cap off our time in Columbia, MO I got to visit four of Columbia’s dining staples and my favorite places to eat.  Shakespears Pizza, probably the most popular answer you will get if you ask a Columbia, MO local where you should eat.  All I have to say is they slice their own peperoni, because the pre-sliced stuff just isn’t thick enough.  Booche’s Burgers, made the USA Today top ten burger in America list.  No frills, just your burger served on wax paper, love it!  Addison’s, my personal favorite for nachos bianco  (from the menu: Italian pasta chips topped with Asiago cheese sauce, tomatoes, scallions, kalamata olives, banana peppers, mozzarella cheese, and chicken, black beans, or chorizo sausage) and the Boulevard Wheat beer just tasted better there.  My friends and I were Thursday night regulars.  To cap it all off, breakfast at the Broadway Diner, famous for the Stretch, an omlet on a bed of hashbrowns topped with chilli, diced onions and green peppers…and I like to add all of that on top of bisquits and gravy.  So good!

Thanks for allowing me to ramble about my homecoming experience a new blog on the ride will be here soon.


Sincerely,

Brent and Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment