Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Lonely Road


            It’s been a couple days of riding without Brent so and they have had there ups and downs.  After deciding that Brent was going to head back to Columbia for rehab we went through all the gear that we both had in order to make sure I was good to go the next day.  I was able to drop a few things but gained a lot more in the process.  After packing all the bags to make sure it still fit they seemed to weigh at least another 15 pounds.  That may not sound like a lot but it sure does wear on you when you’re dragging it behind you all day.  The thing we were both more concerned with was how the balance of the bike was going to change since the backpack was heavier and higher on the bike. 
            As I got ready to take off by myself the next morning I was still a little concerned about how things were going to go by myself.  Without having someone to talk to as we rode or in case something happened have someone else there to help out.  But as I left and started riding those worries disappeared a little bit.  Our worries about the weight and balance turned out to be nothing to really worry about either.  As I first rode out the next morning it was a little wobbly but nothing terrible and it felt normal after riding for just a few miles.  The weight didn’t bother me that much either although I could definitely tell the extra weight was there when I was going uphill.  Thankfully we were not in North Carolina anymore and the hills were a lot smaller and for the most part they were a lot less steep. 
            It was a pretty leisurely ride most of the day but I definitely hit the wall around mile 75, which at that point was already the farthest we had rode in one day on this trip.  But I still had another 13 miles to go in order to make it to the house I was staying at for the night.  I was really starting to feel the weight and luckily the steepest hills of the day were all in the last 10 miles.  There was one point where the family I was staying with offered to pick me up a couple miles away from their house but I told them no because I needed to do it myself for the trip.  But every minute of those last 3 miles was agony.  Finally I made it in to the house and had a great steak dinner with the Campbell family.  It was a fun night hanging out with them and watching football.  Thanks to them it was also a lot easier to get the replacement poles for our tent because the took me to the post office to pick them up instead of having to ride miles out of the way to get them myself.
            The next morning I planned to go about 60 miles to Cedartown but I never quite made it their.  I started the day feeling pretty strong and thought it was going to be a pretty short day.  But as the day progressed I realized that I had nothing left in the tank.  The 88 miles from the day before had really taken a lot out of me and then being in the sun all day just drained my energy even faster.  I was a few miles out from my backup start of Rockmart, GA and I decided I was just going to need to stop and stay there for the night.



            The next day I woke up and decided it was time for another semi rest day because I was still feeling pretty tired and knew I would not be able to put in a full day of biking.  So I just finished off the ride to Cedartown, which was only about 16 miles.  That took me less than 2 hours so I swung by the firehouse to say hey to all the guys there since that would be my home for the night.  They were a very entertaining bunch to hang out with so I just stayed there the rest of the day.  Today was a good rest for the legs and in the morning its off to Alabama and Cheaha Mountain for our 4th high point.

No comments:

Post a Comment