Monday, September 26, 2011

Life is full of tough decisions


Life is full of tough decisions

Hey y’all, this is Brent.  A lot has happened since our last post so it’s time to get you caught up.  I’m going to start today off with some awesome news, follow that up with some not so exciting news and then close the post out telling you about some awesome people we have met along the way. 
To kick it off with the awesome news, we summited our 3rd high point today when we reached the top of Brasstown Bald, Georgia.  It was a great ride.  The ten mile ride to the summit was steep like the others, but much shorter than Sassafras or Clingmans.  It still got our hearts pumpin and there was one short spot we had to walk.  Once we reached the summit parking lot we still had 6/10th’s of a mile to hike to the summit and just like Clingmans it was super cloudy.  Check out this pic where you could hardly see the observation tower a stone’s throw away.  We chatted with the volunteer rangers and they showed us the geological marker for the high point, which was hidden behind a door.  (Not sure why they put it there, maybe to keep it from being stolen.  Once we got to the observation tower, the skies cleared a bit, so we got some decent pics.  Even through the clouds it was a beautiful sight. 
Now come’s the not so exciting news.  If you follow our Facebook and Twitter, you know that my achilles have been bothering me.  Well, even after our rest days, they were still sore, particularly shooting pains when going down stairs.  So, after Brasstown Bald, I took a trip to the local Orthopedic Group.  I had done a good deal of research. But wanted to get a professionals opinion.  Sure enough, I have achilles tendonitis due to overuse.  The doctor said he would like to see a week off minimum and would rather see two weeks to a month and rest and rehabilitation.  He said continuing to ride at the pace we have been going could result in some long term issues.
This is not what I wanted to hear…but it is what I expected to hear.  I tried to convince myself we are riding into easier terrain and I could just not pedal as hard.  Then once we make it to Missouri, I could rest a bit more.  (Getting to Missouri on time for homecoming has been my driving force)  Then I came to my senses.  After a long chat with Michael about my options, I have decided to take the next few weeks off to rest, rehab and strengthen my achilles for the rest of the expedition. 
This was an extremely difficult decision for me to come to, because of my pride and desire to finish what I set out to do.  Once I thought deeper I remembered that my lifelong health would be more important and that I could still serve the ultimate purpose, which is fundraising for Big City Mountaineers.  So in summary, I am taking the next few weeks off, Michael will continue on, I will meet up with him and continue riding from Columbia, Missouri.  Cycle for the Summit will continue and still be successful, I will just have to find my way to the high points of Alabama and Mississippi another time in my life.
Now this is getting long, but I wanted to end on a positive note and tell you about the great people we have met over the past week.  The day after Clingmans Dome, we used as a workday in Cherokee, NC.  We hung out in Tribal Grounds Coffee, where we really clicked with the barista Emelie.  She was a blast to chat with while we were working and ended up treating us to lunch (she had a really good day in tips) at Marco Polo’s a super eclectic sandwich shop with something like 113 sandwiches.  She was a blast to hang out with and a cool girl.  Good luck to her in all of her airsoft endeavors. 
That evening we were looking for a place to stay in Bryson City, NC, and while riding down the street I noticed a rotary sign so we stopped in to see if they would have somewhere to let us pitch a tent.  It turned out the place we stopped was a bed and breakfast.  Luke the owner didn’t want us to camp out in the rain, but he didn’t have any rooms available.  He ended up calling his buddy Mr. Watkins and got us a room at the River Bend Motel.  We have been so fortunate to cross paths with wonderful people like Luke and Mr. Watkins.
Another great example is when we rolled into Murphy, NC the next evening.  We stopped at a local coffee shop to ask about the best place to camp, and to our luck one of the gentleman owned the local outfitter and said we could pitch our tent in his parking lot.  Finally I am writing you this from the house of Jim and Dianne Watkins.  They are members of the Couch Surfing community and that is how we got in touch with them.  They have been cooking us some amazing meals and supplementing them with wonderful stories.  (Not to mention many ice bags for me)  If the trip continues at this pace we will be happy guys.  Thanks to everyone who has helped us out, we truly appreciate al the support!

Adios,

Brent and Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment