Wednesday, January 11, 2012

On the Road Again


             It’s been quite a while since my last blog but I actually have a respectable reason for it this time instead of just being lazy.  I actually took almost 2 weeks off around Christmas and New Years to go home and see my family and some friends.  But, I’ll get to that in a little. 
            When I last left off I had just gotten to New Mexico and made the decision not to go to Wheeler Peak because of all the storms that were about to come through the area.  Turns out this was a good idea because by the time I made it to Las Vegas, NM, a huge storm came through the area.  I ended up staying in a one of the nicest Super 8’s I had ever seen.  They had a great breakfast and they also had soup and salad every night for dinner that the manager made herself each day.  But I was there for 3 nights trying to wait for the storm to pass and then the roads to clear up.  This just wasn’t going to happen though.  I only had a 2-day window of decent weather before another storm came through the area. However, the roads were in no shape for riding.  I would have had to take a highway with all the snow piled up on the shoulders. 
So I decided to just take a bus to Santa Fe where I stayed with an awesome couple who had been very involved in the cycling community there for a long time.  The next day he was actually heading down to Albuquerque anyways so I was able to get a ride with him before the other storm blew threw.  When I got to Albuquerque I still had 2 days before my flight but luckily my old NOLS instructor lived in the area.  It was cool to see him again and to have those 2 days to just hang out and relax.  While I was there he was actually getting ready to leave for a month and go to Nepal.  He is travelling there to help teach the local porters mountaineering skills at the Kumbu Ice School.
Eventually the time came for me to fly home on Christmas Eve.  It was great being home for 10 days and not having to worry about where I will be sleeping the next night.  While I was home I also went down to Columbia, SC for New Years with some friends which was a ton of fun and I actually had the chance to go sailing for the first time.  It was a pretty windy day, which made it that much more exciting to learn on the fly.  All good things must come to an end though and on January 4th I flew back to Albuquerque to restart my trip. 
My first 2 days back on the road were awesome.  It was sunny, no wind and the perfect temperature.  Not to mention some good roads to ride on. I kept them both between 40 and 50 miles in order to help get my legs used to the process again since it had been about 2 weeks since I last rode my bike.  The 3rd day though was just brutal.  I had to go 75 miles just to reach the next town called Truth or Consequences and I had a stiff head wind the whole way.  I ended up being on the road for over 11 hours that day which meant that I rode for 2 hours in the dark.  Luckily though it was a clear night with an almost full moon and the wind died off completely.
That night the Desert View Inn put up.  I decided to take a rest day the next day because I was hurting from the previous ride.  That night the Charles Motel and Spa put me up which was awesome.  The area is actually known for their hot springs and at the Charles Motel you get a free mineral bath if you stay there.  So of course I took advantage of this and it felt great. 
After a very relaxing rest day I took off the next morning for another 75-mile day, which I had, an awesome tail wind the entire way.  With one more 72-mile day I was able to make it to El Paso, Texas.  This is where I am going to meet a friend and sponsor of Guadalupe Peak, which is the highest point in the state of Texas.  Together we are heading out for the Summit tomorrow morning.  So next time I write to yall there will be one more state checked off the list.

- Michael Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment