Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rejuvenation


            There have been some pretty big events that have occurred since my last blog.  I had the opportunity to ride through the Badlands National Park in South Dakota, fly back to USC for the weekend, and then reach Harney Peak for my 8th summit.
Sunset in the Badlands
            The whole way across South Dakota I had been hearing about how amazing the Badlands are and had gotten really excited to ride through it.  I was actually planning on camping in a section of the Badlands that has a herd of free range Bison.  However, I came to find out that in order to do that I would have to bike in about 12 miles on a gravel road and then bike out about another 13 miles.  So needless to say I decided against that.  But, the rest of the ride was pretty spectacular.  From the second you go through the gate the scenery drastically changes from the rolling plains to involve desert cliff faces a couple hundred feet tall.  The rest of the day I spent riding up and down these cliffs enjoying all the different formations that were created by the passing of time.  I lost track of time a little bit while riding and by the time the sun was setting I still had about 8 miles to go before I made it to a town to stay in.  Luckily it was mostly downhill and I was able to get there pretty fast although it got very cold as soon as the sun went down. 
            The next day I rode to Rapid City, SD where I met the Thurston’s.  They were a very nice couple that offered to keep an eye on all my stuff while I flew back to USC for a couple days.  The reason I was going back to USC was so that I could help out the University with their new Capitol Campaign kickoff event. They wanted me to come back in order to talk a little bit.  My short talk with Brent was focused around our promise to participate in the community as a USC alum.
Part of the trail to Harney Peak
            This trip back to Columbia was great for me both because I was able to help out USC after they have done so much for me and Cycle for the Summit but it was also rejuvenating to hang out with all me friends for a couple days.  It was also a great break from the cold windy weather that I had been dealing with up in South Dakota for the last week or so.  But, early Sunday morning it was time to head back to South Dakota in order to get ready for the next stages of my journey.
            The day after getting back to Rapid City I hit the road again by making my way into the heart of the Black hills.  This took me to Mount Rushmore, which was fun to see in person since it is such an iconic landmark in the United States.  After stopping here for a little bit I continued on to the trailhead of Harney Peak where I camped for the night.  I woke up early the next morning to a fresh snow covering everywhere.  This day turned out to take a lot longer than I expected due to some logging going on along the trail I first expected to take.  But either way it was a very peaceful day hiking through the snow towards my 8th summit.  I didn’t see another soul all day but I did see plenty of deer and I also saw a lot of cougar tracks in the snow.  Upon reaching the summit I was treated to one of the greatest views I had seen on this trip yet. 
            Well now it is time to hightail it south as fast as I can.  Everyone says I have been lucky that a big storm has not come through yet but I don’t want to risk it any longer than I need to. 

- Michael Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment